I've decided to respond to the call and blog about Action and Adventure in August.
Here goes.
One of the ways I've been able to maintain sanity during these summer days of endless Sam and Eloise is to send them both to this wonderful soccer program called Joy of the People. I mean, the name itself is so good, and there's a solid philosophy to boot. There's nothing better than a program with a solid philosophy that it ALSO LIVES OUT. It's so rare. Basically, the people at JOTP want kids to play for the joy of soccer. There's very little coaching, very little skill and drill, and very few adults. Instead, there's abundant free play in mixed age-groups, and I can drop my kids there whenever they (or I) want. As a result, there's abundant joy for us all.
Except for today. Sam and Eloise refused to go. They were tired and missed home after a weekend away at the cabin, and they just. wanted. to play. Legos.
That's fair, but I also really wanted them to go (sanity) and knew that they would (or should) much prefer a morning of soccer with friends to a slog through the grocery store with mom.
So I entered the battle. There was whining, crying, attempts at compromise, a proposed bribe, and finally, a standing of ground that resulted in two of us sitting in the car for five minutes while another refused to get in.
But we got there, and before I had even turned to go, Sam had entered a game and Eloise was being greeted by name by one of the college-aged coaches. Both kids were smiling.
I'm happy to report that they have have asked to go back tomorrow. It doesn't mean they will. We all change our minds sometimes, and some days I don't feel like standing my ground. But if parenting isn't an adventure -- in even the most mundane of daily exercises -- I don't know what is.
3 comments:
I'm glad they want to go back tomorrow (for now)!
I really hate it when I lay down the law, and then I have to enforce the law. But, I think it's important, and everyone enjoyed themselves, so YAY!
I always love reading about you and/or your kiddos.
I have to lay down the law in Thirdland all the time and it's not my favorite part of the job, let me tell you.
Post a Comment